MUSHROOM HUNT WITH BILL O'DEA
About this experience
ADULT MEMBER: €85.50
On Sundays, 8th and 15th October, join Ireland’s premier mycophagist, Bill O’Dea for a dedicated course to learn about one of nature’s most underestimated mysteries – fungi, as you hunt and forage around our 800 acre Estate.
The only dedicated mushoom hunts held at Killruddery, this workshop is suitable for complete beginners and intermediate practictioners, with all materials provided.
After tea/coffee and scones on arrival, Bill will give a talk on the wonderful world of mushrooms with guidance on identifying edible and toxic mushrooms, while also sharing information on their medicinal uses, nutrition and their importance in ecosystems. Then, the mushroom hunting will commence!
Once your mushrooms have been gathered (in previous years up to fifty varieties have been found) you’ll return to base and enjoy lunch in The Grain Store, before Bill and his team will help identify and cook your findings, so you can sample your foraged delights.
ABOUT BILL O’DEA:
Bill O’Dea is a passionate Irish mycophagist who has been running mushroom hunts in Ireland and abroad since 1996. He also speaks internationally at mushroom festivals in Spain, France and Turkey.
As well as his love of foraging mushrooms and other wild foods, Bill enjoys sharing his knowledge on the fascinating, amusing and sometimes horrific aspects of fungi and their relationship to the planet and the other natural kingdoms.
Bill’s hunts in Ireland have received plenty of media attention, and having studied at UCD, he is an active member of the Association of Foragers (a UK/European wide professional foragers group) and an Irish delegate for Terra Madre Salone del Gusto - an international event dedicated to food politics, sustainable agriculture and the environment.
Bill runs several public mushroom hunts every autumn and is also available for private events. He has enjoyed sharing his passion with a variety of groups who have joined him on previous hunts. For more information on Bill, visit www.mushroomstuff.com
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
- This workshop is for complete beginners & intermediate practitioners
- Those looking to explore and expand the art of mushroom foraging
- Those looking to gain confidence with a new creative outlet
- Anyone looking to spend time with like-minded individuals doing something new and creative
- All materials for this workshop are supplied
- This workshop will take place from 10.30 - 16.00 and includes a welcome tea/coffee and scone on arrival, and lunch in The Grain Store
- Please wear warm, thick soled shoes, and dress to suit the day's weather
- Please allow yourself plenty of time to arrive, park in our main customer car park and follow signs to the workshop
Seasonal Supper Club - Everything perfect from beginning to end, atmospheric setting, wonderful staff and service, the food was so fresh and full of flavour and presented so well, a credit to the head chef Niall, whose visit to each table also made it special. A credit to the whole team, we will definitely be back.